Lead Poisoning Prevention Program
Montefiore Medical Center's Lead Poisoning Prevention Program is the oldest and most comprehensive of its kind in the United States. It was established to combat the nation’s number one environmental childhood disease – lead poisoning. At Montefiore, all the skilled professionals your family needs are conveniently located under one roof in The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore (CHAM):
- Nationally recognized pediatricians and pediatric nurse practitioners who provide state-of-the-art medical care
- A knowledgeable social worker who can help you with the support services and referrals lead-poisoned children often need
- A housing and environmental expert to help locate the source of your child’s lead poisoning, provide housing court advocacy and work with the Department of Health to arrange for and monitor home testing, abatement and clean-up
- An on-site lead laboratory for fast and accurate blood lead results
- The Day Hospital area for those children who need a lead mobilization test
- The new ultra-modern pediatric floor for those patients who require hospitalization for chelation therapy. The spacious, home-like rooms on this floor have sleeping facilities for parents who wish to stay with their children.
The Safe House for Lead Poisoning Prevention
Since opening in 1991, the innovative Safe House for Lead Poisoning Prevention has provided temporary housing for families whose homes are being made lead safe. The facility is conveniently located near Montefiore and The Children's Hospital at Montefiore. A local public school welcomes Safe House children during their temporary relocation.
If your family stays in the Safe House, our staff will
- Monitor the repair of lead hazards in your permanent home
- Offer education on the causes and effects of lead poisoning
- Provide essential medical care for your lead-poisoned child
- Facilitate housing court appearances
- Provide family support services and referrals